One 77 Mortgages has analysed data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to find the locations with the highest number of freehold sales.
The property finance specialist found that Birmingham registered the second-highest total with 8,752 properties sold.
- DFT roundtable: Aggressive business plans, development delays and managing expectations
- 85% of top postcodes for BTL rental yields are close to a university campus
- LGA to support larger projects in Housing Advisers Programme
Other highlights from the research included:
- Cornwall recorded the third highest with 8,726
- County Durham — the number one hotspot in the North East — was the fourth largest with 7,255 freehold sales
- Wiltshire, Bradford, East Riding of Yorkshire, Cheshire East, Wakefield and Cheshire West and Chester completed the top 10
- Central Bedfordshire registered the highest number of freehold sales in the East of England with 4,462, while Cardiff topped the table in Wales with 4,072
The top ten locations in England and Wales:
“Leasehold houses can be a tricky business and it pays to know your stuff when it comes to leasehold properties,” said Alastair McKee, managing director at One 77 Mortgages.
“While you might scrape by on a 70-year lease, the reality is that your property will be extremely hard to sell and that’s where the complications can arise from a lender’s perspective.”