The announcement comes after previous incumbent Dominic Raab was named as the new Brexit secretary yesterday (9th July).
In a statement on Twitter, 10 Downing Street said: “The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Kit Malthouse as minister of state for housing at MHCLG.”
Malthouse is the MP for North West Hampshire and since January had served as the parliamentary under secretary at the Department for Work and Pensions.
- Dominic Raab named as new Brexit secretary
- Industry reacts to prime minister's proposed planning overhaul
- What should the new housing minister's priorities be?
He has also been a member of the Treasury committee and armed forces bill committee.
As minister of state for housing, Malthouse will be responsible for:
• supporting the housing secretary on housing supply policy and delivery
• housing financing streams
• home ownership policy
• planning policy and casework oversight
• Homes England sponsorship and performance
• building safety and regulations (including government response to the Hackitt review)
• land assembly and release, and public sector land and digital land
• Help to Buy
• quality and design
• Grenfell recovery programme
• social housing green paper